APPI Council Candour
At the end of January Council had the pleasure of hosting an APPI social in Sherwood Park. A big thanks to everyone who braved the cold to join us! Council would also like to say thank you to Deanna Cambridge from Strathcona County who led a very informative tour of the Centre in the Park.
The following day the first APPI Council meeting of 2019 was held and covered the following:
• The meeting began with a territorial land acknowledgement, which has become part of Council's regular practice. We continue to work to make the acknowledgement meaningful and relevant for the events of the day.
• Council received updates on the 2019 APPI conference to be held in Fort McMurray October 6-8. More information on the call for proposals can be found here.
• A detailed update on APPI finances was provided to Council. Some changes are being investigated for the institute's long term investments to ensure the best products for APPI's needs and long term financial health are used.
• A lively discussion was had regarding cyber insurance and policy for APPI. Council's intent is to make an informed decision based on what best fits APPI's needs once more information regarding options and risks is considered.
• The financial themes continued with a discussion around best practices regarding use of accounting firms for professional organizations, and a financial 101 course attended by all members of Council. All of these efforts are part of Council's commitment and responsibility to the financial health of the organization. All of us as APPI members are lucky to be part of an organization on good financial footing, and Council is dedicated to ensuring that continues into the future.
• Council has been impressed by and grateful for the excellent work by the Executive Director over the past year.
• Council forwarded their assessment of current skills gaps to the nomination committee to help inform their quest for suitable candidates. All interested members are encouraged to put their names forward and run for Council! The deadline for nominations is February 28, more information is available here.
• There was a regular update on Council action items and strategic projects. There has been lots of progress (which is great!) as we come to the end of the current strategic plan and gear up for the creation of the next strategic plan. Stay tuned for opportunities to contribute!
• A decision was made to renew the memorandum of understanding with the professional planning institutes of Saskatchewan, Manitoba and APPI to continue our collaboration on PLAN North West. Check out the latest issue here!
• Council is working with APPI administration to develop a tool to help us better evaluate opportunities to sponsor and partner with other organizations and events. One great example from 2018 of a successful sponsorship was APPI's support of the Canadian Planning Students Conference Place18.
• Lastly, Council ratified the Nomination Committee for the 2019 APPI Council election. Once again, if you are interested in submitting a nomination the deadline is February 28, more information is available here.
Council looks forward to seeing members at the 2019 AGM in Calgary in April, and celebrating the fantastic volunteers whose efforts keep the institute running!
If you have an idea or question that you’d like to bring to APPI Council’s attention, we would be pleased to consider it and get back to you – please contact the office at [email protected].