APPI Council Candour
With four newly elected RPPs on board, APPI Council held our annual strategic retreat on May 26 and 27. It was a highly productive session, we’re already beginning to enjoy each others’ working styles, and all of us are enthused about moving the Institute’s many projects forward. Here are some of the highlights of our weekend:
- Essential training (or re-training) in not-for-profit governance, identification of Councillors’ areas of expertise/interest and assignment of tasks, and APPI’s key organizational relationships (e.g., CIP, PSC/PSB, other PTIAs, etc).*
- Various components of the APPI Strategic Plan – for example: ensuring project timelines align with the new Communications Strategy, recent updates on the Alberta Sustainability Planning Initiative (ASPI), progress towards a renewed service agreement with CIP, disciplinary processes and other matters concerning regulation of the profession.
- Various elements of the Communications Strategy – e.g., how to leverage the values and strengths of Planning in trending and universal topics, APPI’s response to shifts in provincial legislation, potential platforms to share information and encourage dialogue among planners, and the development of internal APPI Council and organizational guidelines regarding social media.
- The financial report indicated that APPI is well within with this year’s anticipated budget expenditures and income.
- The annual conference in Calgary – Building Resilience / Renforcer la resilience – is shaping up to be an extremely memorable event worthy of multiple superlatives, so please try to take advantage of as many offerings as you can!
- The most current list of accredited planning programs across Canada was ratified, to ensure that potential candidate members of APPI are duly recognized.
- Current membership details were reviewed and the milestone of 1,000 APPI members was once again acknowledged … and celebrated!
- The following positions within Council were confirmed:
- President: Erin O’Neill
- Past President: Misty Sklar
- Treasurer: Martin Frigo
- Secretary: Mac Hickley
- Councillors: Aaron Aubin, Glinis Buffalo, Jamie Doyle, Kate van Fraassen
- Public Member: Linda Wood Edwards
If you have any questions or suggestions for APPI Council, please get in touch with us by sending an email to a[email protected].
* Acronyms: CIP = Canadian Institute of Planners, PSC = Professional Standards Committee, PSB = Professional Standards Board, PTIA = Provincial and Territorial Institutes and Associations