APPI Council Candour
Council held its annual strategic retreat May 24 to 26, 2019. This was the first official meeting of the new 2019/2020 council.
The retreat was split into two parts: 1) Council Orientation, Board Governance and Business Meeting; and 2) Strategic Plan renewal workshop.
Council Orientation, Board Governance and Business Meeting
- Council welcomed Amanda-Brea Watson as a new member of Council and Glinis Buffalo as a re-elected member of Council.
- Together, Council undertook a refresher of APPI’s organizational structure and protocols.
- The following appointments of the Institute’s Officers, Standing Committees, Nominating Committee, the Registrar and Council Strategic Committees were ratified:
o Officers of the Institute Mac Hickley as President, Kate van Fraassen as Secretary, Erin O’Neill as Treasurer.
o Representatives on Council Standing Committees are Chelsea Whitty on the Registration Committee and Bernice Gonzalez on the Practice Review Committee.
o Appointed by Council to the Nominating Committee are Tammy Henry (Chair), Gary Buchanan and Shawn Bravender.
o MaryJane Alanko as Registrar.
o Representatives on Council Strategic Committees are:
Mac Hickley, Kate van Fraassen and Glinis Buffalo on the Executive Director Review Committee;
Mac Hickley, Amanda-Brea Watson and Chelsea Whitty on the Governance Committee and;
Erin O’Neill, Bernice Gonzalez and Gary Willson on the Finance Committee.
- Council ratified the list of accredited university planning programs, as recommended by the Professional Standards Board. Additionally, APPI President Mac Hickley provided an update on the review of the Standards Committee's (SC) Member Standards Policy Manual (MSPM) alongside the Provincial and Territorial Institutes and Associations (PTIAs), which he is currently part of.
- Finally, Council will be hosting meeetings and an education session in Yellowknife, in August to engage with APPI members and other planners in NWT.
Strategic Plan Workshop
- Council participated in a facilitated workshop led by Framework Partners and Intelligent Futures. The purpose of the workshop was to identify strategic priorities, goals and actions for the Institute over the next four years.
- The workshop began with a presentation of the results of a member survey and stakeholder interviews completed earlier this year. This formed the basis of the workshop activities. A big thanks to APPI members who completed the survey!
- The workshop was a productive exercise and Framework will use the work to prepare the new 2020-2024 Strategic Plan. A draft will be made available to Council for review later this summer.
If you have an idea or question that you’d like to bring to APPI Council’s attention, we would be pleased to consider it and get back to you – please contact the office at [email protected].